Sunday, April 25, 2010

Morning walk

When the town was still asleep,
The sun rose silently and began to peep,
Sensed two little eyes on me glance,
A little dog awoke and began to dance.

A lick on my face, a nudge on my arm
At 5 I wake, with no alarm
a soggy brown nose, a wet sniff
Of doggy breath I get a whiff

This is how my day begins,
a whispered bark, and I’m all grins
Wagging his tail, anticipating a walk,
“wake up already”, he’d say if he could talk.

Off to a long walk, with a leap and a trot,
curious, smelling and marking his spot.
We stand while he’s entrapped by a bush,
Till I get bored and give him a push

Every pile, pole & tyre so intriguing,
Its their routine, never fatiguing.

Dogs love their walk, they never whine,
Their sense of poo is far keener than mine.
And only when he finds his place precise,
which he dignifies by smelling it nice.
And circles thrice about, squats and he goes,
Kicks back mud to dispose.

off to navlakhi we go,
Tugging at the leash, ”slow down Snoop, Whoa!!”
A happy frantic Donna we see from far,
A loud bark, Hobbes announcing his arrival in car.

Morning greetings, owners we exchange,
the quadrupeds mark everything strange.

“No! “, “here”, “drop that”.. I shout
just then, Roxie the terror, comes about.
Snoop and Winkey, they’re scared,
But with Donna around, Roxie hasn’t dared.

After three rounds, the dogs they’re tired,
But at the thought of fetch, they’re rewired.
Hobbes is persistent at the game.
Snoops lost interest in the same.

After an hour and a half, we get home.
Exhausted, shoes muddy, after a long roam.
their pace slow, panting – Snoop and Winkey, they look like twins
I wouldn’t change it for a thing. This is how my day begins.

3 comments:

  1. Ah ! The poetess at work ! My ! My ! You are certainly full of surprises ! I wonder what part of your abilities will we be privileged to see next.
    Poetry is the reflection of the soul....Keep it up, niece ! !
    My heartfelt support !

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish my days would start like that..
    wait...some of em actually have :)
    good to see a happy poem finally.u can write ! keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. she's a persuasive writer...
    this meant to b so real..
    i could actually imagine you n snoop as i went line by line...

    good work keep it up.

    ReplyDelete